Wray Caton moor Fell race

Mon May 4th

6.3 miles
986 feet

The race is part of the scarecrow festival, which was an interesting aside as I have never been to it before. A nice sunny day also helped me enjoy the busy event. The race was a quick up and down of the local hill, Caton Moor. It started fast out of the main festival street then up a steep hill the onto the open fell side via a trail or two. By the time we reached the open fell I was in about 8th place. The lead 2 were now quite distant. But fellow Bowlanders Quentin (in 5th) and Mark Chippendale (in 3rd) were still in sight.

Then the summit neared and the leaders came into view, the gap to the leaders didn't appear too big but in reality I wasn't going to catch them. I tried hard on the rough boggy climb overtaking a couple. Then gave it everything on the descent, but only maintained 6th position ( in 48:22) to the finish. Still a good result out of 141 runners. I also won a mini Scarecrow and a beer, as part of the winning team (Bowland FR). Mark Chippendale was 3rd, Quentin was 5th, Michael Cayton won in 43:10.




No comments: