Borrowdale Fell Race

6th August 2005
17 miles 6,600 ft

My first long fell race. It is a true classic race, taking in a variety of terrain. I was also to prove a very tough one for me. It was a lot further than I had raced before and by the time I got to Great Gable I was barely able to keep moving. I would later on learn that this was a "bonk". I had run out of energy. From here I met Mark at Honnister whom had walked from Rosthwaite with some Lucozade to support my effort. I struggled up Dale Head and then whilst descending, I had painful stitches which made me walk, when I should have been flat out running. Never mind I still enjoyed it, even when I fell whilst crossing the river Derwent and ended up with an early bath. Well it cooled me off anyway. 4 hours 30 mins wasn't too bad for a first long race.



No comments: