Wray Caton Moor fell Race : 1st May

6.8 miles
1,100 feet


Unfortunately, for optimum performance and no excuses, I only discovered that this race was on the night before. At this point i'd already had a few beers, it was late (or early in the morning to be exact)  and i'd had a fairly tough tempo run early in the morning, followed by a hard day at work. See what I mean the excuses are lined up now.

I work weekends so I don't get to do as many races as I would like these days. So when I discovered this local race on Bank holiday Monday, it was too good an opportunity to miss.


So feeling a bit groggy and tired I made my way to the Scarecrow festival in Wray village, which the race is part of.  Soon enough we were lined up in the centre of the village ready for the steep climb up the road. I felt I started ok. Although I was further back in the field than last year. The fell was dry and hard mostly but still patches of softer ground and bog. It was similar ground conditions to last year and I watched fellow Bowland Runner Mark Chippendale lead the race to the summit maybe 2 minutes and 15 places ahead. The descent was tougher than last year due to a stiff headwind for most of it. I never really got up to full speed on the descent, as I was still catching my breath from the ascent, and never really got on top of it.

I think overall the course was a bit tougher this year, mainly due to the headwind.  So I was pleased enough with a slightly slower time of 49.23 and 14th out of 106. Mark had a great run and held on to win in 45.36. His first win after 20 years of doing the race! Brilliant.

No comments: