17th May The Old Counties Tops Fell race

37 miles : 10,000 feet

It was a beautiful day, maybe too nice as the heat would be enough to have an effect. Bill and I partnered up again, only a week after he thrashed me at Buttermere I knew as in for a tough time. We started off well enough and summited Hellvelyn about 10 minutes faster than last time. But after a good descent I realised Bill was definitely in better shape than me. I succumbed to walking part way up Wythburn Bill was still ok running but had to wait for me. In a complete contrast to last time. This continued all the way around . I was simply going as fast as I dare, so as to make it to the end. Meanwhile slightly ahead of me Bill was having an easy time enjoying the scenery and targeting Strava segments!

Still we did make the end after summiting the other 2 tops of Sca Fell Pike and the Old Man of coniston in a best time of 8h 52.09 and in 21st place out of 78 starters. The winners Spyke and J Morgan finished in 7h 10.45.
             

 




No comments: