25th May Helvellyn and the Dodds Fell race

15 miles  :  4,400 feet

This was my first go at this race. Which is pretty much an out and back to Helvellyn from Threlkeld cricket club. It includes the tough ascent of Clough head then great Dodd,  Raise and Helvellyn lower man before the turn back at Helvellyn summit. I think I still had some of the OCT race in my less than fit legs. I found this race super tough even though the weather was perfect after some pre race showers. But it should have been a good course for me, as it is quite runnable. I think on the way back I ran out of steam. I managed a  decent pace until the penultimate decsent of Great Dodd. I then feared I wouldn't even make the finish. I walked a lot of the last runnable climb to Clough ahead then just tried to make it to the line. Mark took a photo revealing a bit of my fatigue. But after that I collapsed to the grass verge and didn't move for about 5 minutes. I can't ever remember feeling so totally knackered after a relatively short race. Maybe too many races too close together with too little fitness.

I finished in 32nd place in 2h 52.48, Morgan Donnely won in 2h 13.36.

                           

No comments: